Formal Name: The Republic of Benin
Local Name: Benin
Local Formal Name: République du Benin
United Nations African Union
Status: UN Country
Capital City: Porto-Novo
Main Cities: Cotonou
Area: 112,620 km2
Currency: 1 CFA franc = 100 centimes (no longer used)
Languages: French, local dialects
Religions: Vodou, Muslim, Roman Catholic
- Stanislas Adotevi (1934– ), French-language academic and philosopher.[Gikandi]
- Adelaide Fassinou, novelist
- Berte-Evelyne Agbo, French-language poet also connected with Senegal.
- Barbara Akplogan (1984 – ), French-language writer.
- Julien Alapini (1906–1971), ethnographer and playwright.[Gikandi]
- Francis Aupiais (1877–1945), French-born missionary and anthopologist.
- Olympe Bhêly-Quenum (1928 – ), writer and journalist.[Gikandi]
- Jérôme Carlos (1944– ), novelist,poet.[Gikandi]
- Florent Couao-Zotti (1964), novelist,writer of comics, plays and short stories.
- Félix Couchoro (1900–1968), novelist.[Gikandi] [Killam & Rowe]
- Moudjib Djinadou (1965– ), novelist.[Gikandi]
- Paul Hazoumé (1890–19800, novelist.[Gikandi]
- Gisèle Hountondji (1954– ), French-language novelist.
- Paulin J. Hountondji (1942– ), philosopher and politician.
- Paulin Joachim (1931– ), poet, journalist and editor.
- Barnabé Laye (1941 – ), poet.[Gikandi]
- Hortense Mayaba, French-language novelist and children's writer.
- José Pliva (1966– ), actor and playwright.
- Jean Pliya (1931– ), playwright and short story writer.
- Alidjanatou Saliou-Arekpa, French-language novelist.
- Arnold Sènou, French-language novelist.[1